I couldn’t resist the call of Black Friday and snagged an SX230 for cheap!
A few test photos. . .
More to come. . .
My Initial thoughts
- Very impressed with higher ISO images – See the Pie image above
- Feature set is impressive and manual control is well done
- 14x zoom in this sized body is nice
- Big thumbs up for the Dedicated movie record button and the 1080 resolution with stereo sound is Good!
- GPS tagging makes this map nerd happy – inside GPS took long time to lock on but once it did it stayed locked on and tagged my photos with the location of my kitchen (don’t steal my pie)
- Plenty of fun modes and scenes though several feel gimicky (fisheye I am looking at you)
- Response time is OK – nothing to get excited about
- Battery life. . doesn’t seem great (However I am using the GPS feature AND an Eye-Fi card). The time it takes that small battery to charge seems a bit longer than it needs to be.
- Hard to keep your finger off the Flash popup
- The lens covering feels flimsy – Need to get a case, wouldn’t just toss it in a bag
- I want built-in intervalometer(timelapse) shooting – Will need to use http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK to get it
Bullet for bullet it looks like the Con list is almost as long as the Pro list – don’t let this fool you, I am very impressed with this little camera and quite happy with my purchase. Properly exposed high ISO images are excellent, the full range of controls and features, especially the ease at which you can control manual settings is sweet as pie.
I also picked up the 4GB Eye-Fi Card and the ability to send photos directly to my computer AND select photos on the camera for upload to facebook is fun!
Check back for hands-on video review soon.
Want to be a better photographer? Become a Photorec.tv Member! $5/Month gets you access to my Lightroom video library the support group and more!
Support this site - Shop for anything through the links below and I earn a small percentage - it costs you nothing extra.