I saw the headline a few days ago “Best Buy will Price-Match Holiday Retailers” This includes Amazon, New egg and a handful more.
When I first read this my heart sank a little. See, I can’t wait for Black Friday– I plan to be in my comfy chair, laptop in front of me, chat windows open, helping people find the best camera at the best price – which has always been online and often at Amazon. The idea that folks can walk into Best Buy and get those great prices and be sold whatever the 17 year old in blue wants to sell depresses me. So I started poking around a bit, wondering if this was going to be similar to the price match fiasco they were involved in a few years back. Or that other time they created a separate internal only website to fool customers into thinking they were getting a good price. Well it turns out out the fine print yields some interesting information.
- Best Buy will only match a list of 20 retailers and it does not include third party sellers on Amazon
- Best Buy not be price matching the week of Black Friday through Cyber Monday
- Best Buy Customer service reps must validate the price difference on the spot (meaning they look it up online) and it is at their discretion to honor the policy at all
- The number of horror stories I have read and heard about Best Buy concerning cameras and other electronics is frightening – Cameras sold as new when in fact they were quite used. Boxes full of pens instead of a $500 camera and restocking fees out the wazoo. I have had to return things to Amazon but the process has always been easy and the couple of times I have had to talk to customer support has been painless.
- As you can tell I am not a fan of their business practices and just about every time I have talked to a camera rep in their store – they have shown a frightening lack of information about the cameras they are selling and photography in general. I know this must not be true of all Best Buy sales people – I am sure there are smart and fair folks out there – I just haven’t run into them yet and I hate when people end up with a camera that is not best for them.
- I make a small percentage off each amazon purchase when visitors use my link – it isn’t quite enough to let me give away a Canon T4i but I do hope that near or just after the holiday season I can give something away that is bigger than the 40mm f/2.8 that I going to give away on Black Friday!
What will you be shopping for this holiday season?
Want to be a better photographer? Become a Photorec.tv Member! $5/Month gets you access to my Lightroom video library the support group and more!
Support this site - Shop for anything through the links below and I earn a small percentage - it costs you nothing extra.