Update: The EOS-M3 will NOT be released outside of Europe/Asia.
We have our first look at the new Canon EOS-M3, the successor to the EOS-M. Note- The M2 was only released in Asia.
And now a picture of the back courtesy of DSLR Forum DE
Details are very light – we can see that there is a redesigned grip and the mode dial and drive mode dials have appeared, they were not present on earlier models and we know no that it will be compatible with Hotshoe EVF Attachment from Canon.
Specs of the original EOS-M:
- 18.0 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor (same as in Canon Rebel series)
- DIGIC 5 Image Processor
- ISO 100-12800; expandable to 25600 (H)
- Hybrid CMOS AF (the largest complaint regarding this camera was slow AF)
- EOS Full HD Movie mode with Movie Servo AF for continuous focus tracking of moving subjects
- EOS-M Mount, Compatible with Canon EF and EF-S lenses (Optional EF Lens Adapter is required – no light loss or quality degradation – cost is $44.95)
- 3.0″ Touchscreen
- Retailed for $899, now can be found around $300.
As I mentioned in the specs the largest complaint regarding this camera was the AF speed. Canon addressed this with a firmware update in June 2013 and those I have spoken to were happier with the performance improvements but compared to similar mirrorless models it still lags behind.
What do I want to see in the new EOS-M3?
- Dual Pixel AF system from the Canon 70D
- Same or better sensor as the Canon 70D
- Slightly articulating screen would be nice ala Sony A7 series (UPDATE: with the new leaked pic of the back it is confirmed that the screen will be at least slightly articulating!
- Robust video options, higher bitrates and 60fps at 1080p
What do you want to see in this little camera? Will be announced Feb 6th.
Very few upgrades on the EOS-M2,
- Faster focusing (2.3x speed is the claim)
- 4.6 fps vs 4.3 in original
- 10% smaller
Want to be a better photographer? Become a Photorec.tv Member! $5/Month gets you access to my Lightroom video library the support group and more!
Support this site - Shop for anything through the links below and I earn a small percentage - it costs you nothing extra.