Northlight Images has received some updated info on the replacement for the Canon 5D Mark III, for those waiting patiently it isn’t the best news –
- 5D Mark IV won’t be along until later in the year, not until the 5Ds/R is shipping in reasonable numbers.
- Timing depends on just how well it sells and to whom – 5D3 sales in Europe have been holding up well, which might push the 5D4 back beyond the update of the 1D X.
- This may or may not fit in with info from the far east, that the 5D4 is due in August/September
- Current rumored specs – 28MP, 9fps and with 4k video. With a ‘significant’ advance in Canon’s flash control capabilities. This would also include adapters/controllers and firmware updates for recent models to make more use of the functionality.
It is clear to me that we will certainly not see a 5D Mark IV replacement before August and maybe even later in the year or next! The gap between the 5D Mark II and III was a similar amount of time – 5D Mark II was announced Sept 2008 and the 5D Mark III was announced March 2012.
A few weeks back we shared some specs that might be the 5D Mark IV (see below) At the time I did not expect those to be true, maybe a new camera but not the 5D Mark IV. The specs above do seem likely but the reality is, this far from launch we just don’t know and are guessing. The one item I am still not convinced will happen is 4k in this camera. Canon has said and backed-up with recent releases that they are very focused on creating cameras targeted to more narrow markets- the 5Ds/R are clearly for photographers, very little video there. The 7D Mark II is clearly for sports and wildlife. Will the 5D Mark IV continue to be this all around machine that that the Mark III offers or will they want videographers to move toward their cinema line?
Mentioned in February as possible 5D Mark IV specs and I went on record saying – no way. This may be a future camera from Canon but it will not be the 5D Mark IV.
A camera currently being tested specifications
- 18mp Full Frame CMOS
- ISO 100-204,800
- 61 AF Points (all crosstype)
- Dual CFast
- 4K Video Capture
With the recent Canon Price drops – I do know it is a great time to buy a 5D Mark III or used 5D Mark II
Want to be a better photographer? Join my Support Group! $5/Month gets you access to my Lightroom video library, and a group of people interested in helping you grow as a photographer.
Support this site - Shop for anything through the links below and I earn a small percentage - it costs you nothing extra.