I have now been shooting with the Sony a7R Mark II (a7Rm2) for most of the day here in Iceland (today was the meet everyone, wander about town and get settled into the hotel day, tomorrow (Aug 7th) we head out for some seriously beautiful landscapes.
- AF is very good and improved over earlier Sony models
- AF with Metabones is also excellent though I have seen some confusion, just once actually in lower light- will be testing more.
- Image quality is excellent
- Feel in the hand is wonderful
- The control dials for aperture and shutter speed are smallish and I wish they were bigger and placed more prominently
- 4K video – looks good, I have just shot a few minutes of clips, more soon on this.
- Battery life is terrible, but you can use the camera while charging – so walking around with a USB battery attached to the camera looks silly but gives you much better battery life.
If you think you want one now. Put in a preorder now. B&H has over 1,000 preorders and only got a couple hundred in- most camera stores seem to be getting them in ones and twos.
Want to be a better photographer? Join my Support Group! $5/Month gets you access to my Lightroom video library, and a group of people interested in helping you grow as a photographer.
Support this site - Shop for anything through the links below and I earn a small percentage - it costs you nothing extra.