Canon finally goes seriously mirrorless?
Preorder from Amazon or B&H Photo
Canon’s mirrorless line uses the EF-M mount but offers APS-C sensors, the same size as the 80D and Canon is promising better image quality and low light performance from this camera compared to the 80D. The AF system is also the same as used by live view in the 80D and borrows the same touch screen but tilt only, not fully articulating like the 80D. If you want to use EF or EF-S lens you will need their EOS-M to EF/EF-S Adapter which sells for $123.54 – Buy from Amazon
The first camera that comes to mind to compare is Sony a6300 – Selling for $1148 (buy from Amazon) I strongly suspect the a6300 will still offer better low light performance and provides 4K video (EOS M5 offers 1080 at 60P) BUT useability of the Sony is not great, Canon often does a good job with useability and with the touchscreen Canon could offer a very attractive camera that may not provide the BEST image quality but will still provide good enough quality in a very friendly package. Are you interested? How do you think it will stack up against the a6300? Scroll down for my little comparison chart
Canon EOS M5 Features
- 24.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor, ISO 100 25600.
- Fast and smooth Dual Pixel CMOS AF helps you capture stills and shoot video with quick and precise autofocus.
- High-speed continuous shooting at up to 7.0 fps (up to 9.0 fps with AF Lock) and new DIGIC 7 Image Processor with improved AF tracking performance.
- Full HD 60p/50p helps capture fast-moving subjects and brilliant results in MP4 format.
- Digital IS with 5-axis image stabilization* when shooting videos plus increased image stabilization with both lens optical IS and in-camera digital IS when shooting with an IS lens.
- Built-in high-resolution EVF (approx. 2,360,000 dots) with new Touch and Drag AF lets you manually move the AF frame displayed for more precise focusing in different shooting situations.
- Intuitive touch screen 3.2 tilt-type (85Â° up/180Â° down) LCD monitor (approx. 1,620,000 dots) enables flexible positioning and clear viewing.
- Easily customize functions while shooting using the Front Dial, Quick Control Dial, Dial Function Button and Exposure Compensation Dial.
- Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC allows for easy sharing and transferring of images and videos.
- Equipped with Bluetooth Smart for smooth pairing with a compatible smartphone by powering on both devices for easy photo sharing and remote control possibilities.
- Shorter camera startup time and interval time between each image capture for a more efficient shooting experience.
- Compatible with EF-M lenses as well as the full line of EF and EF-S lenses and Speedlites for expanded creativity.
- Mount Adapter EF-EOS M is required when using EF/EF-S lenses for EOS M series digital cameras.
Sony a6300 vs Canon EOS-M5 (Specs Compared)
|Spec||Canon EOS M5||Sony a6300|
|LCD||3.2″ Tilting (180 Down) Touchscreen||3″ Tilting|
|Video||1080 @ 60p||4K at 30p|
|Lens Mount||EF-M (browse lenses on B&H)||Sony E Mount (browse lenses on B&H)|
|Price||$979 Body Only | $1099 w/ 15-45 Lens||$998 Body Only | $1148 w/ 16-50 Lens|
|Weight||427g | 0.94lb||404g | 0.89lb|
Want to be a better photographer? Become a Photorec.tv Member! $5/Month gets you access to my Lightroom video library the support group and more!
Support this site - Shop for anything through the links below and I earn a small percentage - it costs you nothing extra.