The 80D will be announced VERY soon – Digicame has the spec list and I believe it to be 100% correct
- 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor (more than the 20MP from the 7D Mark II)
- Dual pixel CMOS AF
- Continuous shooting 7 frames / sec – Live view 5 frames / sec. (AF tracking)
- AF 45 points (all points cross type) 7D mark II has 65 Cross type. 70D has 19.
- 7560 pixel RGB + IR metering sensor
- ISO 100-16000
- flickerless shooting (adopted from the 7D Mark II) – this enables more consistent exposures in gym/arena lighting
- finder is 100% field of view – up from 98% with the 70D
- 3 inches vari-angle touch screen LCD monitor.- The same as 70D
- 1080p 60 fps – Up from 30fps with the 70D and on par with 7D Mark II
- Time-lapse movie – Something Canon finally started adding with the 5DS series.
- Wi-Fi, NFC – remote shooting by smartphone – I doubt this will include video start and stop- probably only photo remote control as you can do now with 70D.
Dial of the 70D compared to the 80D – really the only exterior difference I can find other than the viewfinder upgrade.
80D looks to add Custom 1 AND Custom 2 to the dial along with filters (between SCN and C2)
These look like decent upgrades – nothing ground breaking and compared to other options, like the newly announced a6300, this looks like Canon is still behind the curve but if you have a rebel, and a few canon lenses this does represent a decent upgrade and a solid hybrid camera – video and photo capable.
Note: It is interesting to me that we are getting the 80D without a single firmware update to the 70D. So different from almost all the rest of the manufacturers that release at least some additional modest functionality via firmware.
What do you think of these specs? Enough to warrant an upgrade from a 70D? How about T5i or even T6i/T6s owners?
Want to be a better photographer? Become a Photorec.tv Member! $5/Month gets you access to my Lightroom video library the support group and more!
Support this site - Shop for anything through the links below and I earn a small percentage - it costs you nothing extra.