We have seen the signs, heard the rumors and now here in the US at B&H Photo Store- the NX1 with Lens is listed as discontinued. It is clear this line of cameras from Samsung is completely dead and done. A real shame - I really liked the NX1 as a camera though I did worry about the ecosystem. I still miss it's beautiful OLED screen and smart features like over wifi firmware updates.They do still have stock of Body Only models - not sure how long that will last but the price is decent. $1099 Slightly related - Amazon's deal of the day is the older NX3000. For $399 you get the camera, 20-50 and 50-200 lens. This is an excellent deal - just think of this as a point and shoot and it's a fantastic deal with good wifi connectivity and even a cheap tiny prime, 30mm f/2.0 lens you can add for additional portability.The NX3000 is a 20MP APS-C camera that does very well in low light. flip up touchscreen and the ability to take 3D photos (when using a 3D lens) round out the features.
After spending a few weeks with the Samsung NX1 and 16-50 f2-f2.8 lens I am ready to share my review.Samsung NX1 Video Review: More NX1 CoverageSamsung NX1 Pros:
- 28MP Sensor - provides excellent resolution, detail and clean high ISO images(some of the best I have seen from any crop sensor camera)
- 15 FPS - The fastest of any camera in this price range and class
- Excellent Auto focus system - 205 Phase Detection points. I was very impressed with the speed and reliability of focus from this camera.
- 4k video looks gorgeous and the H.265 compression keeps the file sizes reasonable.
- Serious video features including 120fps for slow mo
- Wifi, Bluetooth and NFC provide this camera with multiple remote control and wireless image options.
- Well built weather sealed magnesium alloy body
- Articulating touchscreen is responsive and well designed - a step above other touchscreens currently on the market.
- Top Screen LCD for quick glance at your setings
- Nicely implemented time lapse options - produce video or still images in camera
- USB Charging (bring a RavPower battery with you and you can charge the camera anywhere, anytime)
Samsung NX1 Cons:
- Lens Ecosystem - Limited, no zooms above 300mm and only a few professional level prime lenses. (see my recommended lenses)
- H.265 Support is limited and requires lengthy transcoding options for editing (this should change soon)
- I am frustrated that there is still no way to remove AF from the shutter button, limiting the usefulness of the AF-ON button for back button focus.
- Size - Although the NX1 is smaller than most DSLRS it is larger than most mirrorless cameras and you won't see much size, weight savings if you went with the NX system.
- Cost - Body only the NX1 is a reasonable $1499 - expensive yes but this camera combines the best of several other classes of cameras. When you start to add lenses, like the fantastic 16-50 f2-f2.8 you end up paying nearly $3,000 and that is an expensive system that still feels limiting for some.
A walkthrough of the connectivity of this camera and the menu system
5:30pm EST Feb 13, 2015Photo Mish Mash Show Notes: Photo Mish Mash Ep #45 Date: 2/13/15Sponsor(s):Seattle Workshop - April 4th from 10am to 5pm with optional dinner http://photorec.tv/product/seattle-workshop/Mckay Academy Trips - Join us in Greece, New Zealand or photograph some baby animals, helicopter ride to top of a glacier http://j.mp/McKayPhotoSquareSpace/toby 10% off your order. TWO week free trial. Clearly they know they have a good product if they don’t take your credit card up front - More to come soon. http://squarespace.com/tobyWeek in review:New site - Easy way to find my stuff- add “toby” to your searchesMagic Lantern - Just how easy it is on a T5i -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxwXi1X0xGcImage Critique - General Inspiration for Feb assignment Shadow Play - Submit for Assignment or General Crit -http://photorec.tv/2015/01/critique-schedule-submission/Week Ahead:NX1, D5500, Touchscreens making us stupid?^ firmware updatesNX1 Pro+Touchscreen,+User interface+Features - Including 4K+Quality - excellent sensorNX1 Cons-Missing true back-button focus-Expensive-Lens selection-Samsung?D5500 - summary of the review D5300 seems like a great value - more soon.News:Google and Mattel - Photospheres VR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlhFBU2I7vUhttp://www.theverge.com/2015/2/13/8033189/mattel-google-cardboard-view-master-hands-onSigma Announced 150-600 Contemporary - How does it stack up against the Tamron 150-600 or the other Sigma 150-600? http://photorec.tv/2015/01/big-zoom-field-review/“Hands-on” with the Pentax FFhttp://www.dpreview.com/articles/8579230519/cp-2015-up-close-and-personal-with-ricoh-full-frame-mockup?slide=3Sigma 24mm f/1.4 announced.http://www.dpreview.com/articles/5301767721/hands-on-with-sigma-s-new-24mm-f1-4-dg-hsm-art-lens?slide=6Drone - No Flyhttp://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/27/us/white-house-drone.html?_r=0http://mashable.com/2015/02/10/noflyzone-drones/Discussion:Toby has a rant? Snow DXSNO Scores -Reader Questions:My most confusing question EVERI'm hearing some noise on the Nikkor 18-55 mm lens during autofocus of still photos with my new Nikon D5300. I see a lot written about noise during video but is some noise (particularly w low light High ISO settings) normal?Thoughts on following combo: Sigma 18-35, 50mm prime and Tamron 70-200 VC USD?What do you think about the Canon 70-200 IS V1?More Questions:https://www.facebook.com/Digital.Photo.Recommendations/photos/a.10150222907829855.334190.233048999854/10153104116014855/?type=1