After spending a few weeks with the Samsung NX1 and 16-50 f2-f2.8 lens I am ready to share my review.
Samsung NX1 Video Review:
Samsung NX1 Pros:
- 28MP Sensor – provides excellent resolution, detail and clean high ISO images(some of the best I have seen from any crop sensor camera)
- 15 FPS – The fastest of any camera in this price range and class
- Excellent Auto focus system – 205 Phase Detection points. I was very impressed with the speed and reliability of focus from this camera.
- 4k video looks gorgeous and the H.265 compression keeps the file sizes reasonable.
- Serious video features including 120fps for slow mo
- Wifi, Bluetooth and NFC provide this camera with multiple remote control and wireless image options.
- Well built weather sealed magnesium alloy body
- Articulating touchscreen is responsive and well designed – a step above other touchscreens currently on the market.
- Top Screen LCD for quick glance at your setings
- Nicely implemented time lapse options – produce video or still images in camera
- USB Charging (bring a RavPower battery with you and you can charge the camera anywhere, anytime)
Samsung NX1 Cons:
- Lens Ecosystem – Limited, no zooms above 300mm and only a few professional level prime lenses. (see my recommended lenses)
- H.265 Support is limited and requires lengthy transcoding options for editing (this should change soon)
- I am frustrated that there is still no way to remove AF from the shutter button, limiting the usefulness of the AF-ON button for back button focus.
- Size – Although the NX1 is smaller than most DSLRS it is larger than most mirrorless cameras and you won’t see much size, weight savings if you went with the NX system.
- Cost – Body only the NX1 is a reasonable $1499 – expensive yes but this camera combines the best of several other classes of cameras. When you start to add lenses, like the fantastic 16-50 f2-f2.8 you end up paying nearly $3,000 and that is an expensive system that still feels limiting for some.
Want to be a better photographer? Become a Photorec.tv Member! $5/Month gets you access to my Lightroom video library the support group and more!
Support this site - Shop for anything through the links below and I earn a small percentage - it costs you nothing extra.