Toby says Hi from Vietnam! He's currently out on a McKay Live tour but we've still got the Week's photo news and more. Canon and Nikon are still eyeing that Full-Frame mirrorless market, both with stories out this week. Then it looks like Facebook wants to kill off more views on your photography page.While Toby does the Live Show via PEN when not on tour, this is your quick peek at what we're doing behind the scenes, this week's news, our Instagram challenge top picks, and more. Join the Photo Enthusiast Network and watch Toby live when he gets back, you can find out more at Photorec.tv/pen.Quick Tip! As a reminder, with this cold weather try to bag your cameras before taking them inside, this helps protect it from moisture condensation.
This Week at Photorec.tv
- PEN ONLY Tuesday Tip - Shooting for a Time-lapse - Something a bit different to get you out of just stills and a great tutorial to get you started.
- Sony a7RIII & a9 Time Lapse Options - As Toby was doing plenty of timelapses in Yellowstone your feedback on the stories led to this quick article on how to pull it off.
- The GH5S, Only 10MP, and Why That’s a Good Thing - While we covered it in the Mish Mash last week, a few thoughts from Toby on the new GH5S.
- New Firmware Update for the Sony a9 – What does it mean for the a7RIII? - The a9 got some decent updates this week and maybe that means Toby's new a7RIII will be seeing a similar firmware update soon.
- YI Camera – Cheap Mirrorless- Don’t Buy! - The camera I wish worked. The YI M1 is a tiny micro four thirds mirrorless with potential thanks to a new firmware update but it looks like in the review, it still just doesn't focus.
Around the Web
We can't cover everything photography news related but we try. For everything else, we've got the best news articles from around the web.Canon Asking Its Pros What They Want in a Pro Mirrorless CameraVia Petapixel and Camera Rumors, the word is out that Canon is surveying professionals on the must-have features for a Full Frame Mirrorless. As they've admitted to being behind it's nice to see them taking input on a new product. While both have attempts into this market neither have taken off like Sony's line of products, something Toby has switched over to for a while with his new a7R III. With the myth of a Canon Full Frame for years, hopefully, this is a sign that they might be giving it another shot considering where they stand currently.Nikon’s Full Frame Mirrorless to Have New Z-Mount: ReportWhile it looks like Canon may be starting from step one again Nikon may be developing a new Z-mount for full frame mirrorless. While keeping the traditional Nikon F-mount would be nice it's just a lot of empty space on a mirrorless body. So if a Nikon Mirrorless takes off we might see the change of a tradition. The Nikon 1 tried something similar and lost, but there's still hope for some Sony Competition.Your Facebook Business Page Is About to Get a Lot Less TrafficWhether you think it's another money grab like some, or an attempt to fix the feed, Facebook is going to be putting more focus on people and less on pages. They've already tested an explore feature pushing pages off the main feed although this might be more of a tweak on what shows up. Either way, that means even fewer eyes on your Facebook page posts. Considering we're already getting about 1/10 in views to people liking the page this might be a large push for you to explore other options, especially if you're going pro.New DJI drone teaserComing on the 23rd we might be seeing a new drone in-between the Mavic Pro and DJI Spark.https://youtu.be/W8JWknlPPQQOther Stories You Might Like:
- Zion National Park Bans Tripods in Photo Workshops
- It's Worth Stepping Outside Your Comfort Zone
- Hilariously Bad Family Photos Go Viral
- How My Photo Ended Up in the New York Times Without Credit
- TV Star Asks for Free Wedding Photos in Exchange for Exposure. Oops.
- The Hasselblad H6D-400C Multi Shot Captures Monster 400MP Photos
- Keep Persevering: Why Persistence Pays Off in Photography
- CVS Bans Photoshop in Its Beauty Product Photos
- Nikon Just Introduced a $10k Storytellers’ Scholarship
- Zhiyun Announce New Crane Plus 3-axis Gimbal and Tease Mechanical Follow Focus Unit
- What to expect at Cp+ (A5xxx and Sigma ART FE ?)
- Photographer Travels to Island, Gets Stranded, Spends the Week Shooting
Featured Photos Weekly Challenge
This Week’s Challenge: #PRTV_stilllife2
Setting a scene up for a still life is a great chance to try something different with this week's challenge. This challenge really focused on lighting and composition as that's the heart of still life. Nice job ladies and gents!Next Week's Challenge: #PRTV_blackandwhite3As I already posted one photo up on the @Photorec.tv Instagram this week's challenge is all about going black and white. This is a really great opportunity to focus on shapes this week or really simplify an otherwise busy shot of color.
Nice job playing with the light in this one, it's a nice gradient falling through the photo.
Drinks need more love in these challenges. I like the colorful elements set to the side that help balance the composition.
I think I would have liked it shot a bit closer personally but you did a great job at setting a scene.
Love the use of snow, great lighting.
Fantastic composition, love the black on black and the lighting.
Such a great choice of focus and the composition is really nice.
For more info, the schedule, and past top picks go check out photorec.tv/prtv. Try out some of Toby's Instagram Tips. For everything else Instagram, tag those shots #PRTV and #penlive for our daily photo features.
Photos from Space
Thanks to the HiRISE camera aboard NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter we get a quick glimpse of frozen ice hiding under the sands of Mars.Also check out: We may get the first-ever image of a black hole this yearPick up a "Major Tom" spaceman LED light for your computer today. Part of Toby's Photos from space segment and it helps support the site. Click here to buy your own Major Tom on Amazon.Want to keep up with things happening this year? Sync your calendar with the solar system
That's all folks! We'll be back next week with even more of your photo news. For PEN members next week Toby and co. will be off to Vietnam so it'll just be me with the highlights. If you guy's like the highlights leave us comments on the social media posts and we'll keep this going!