A big week for photography news, it's the end of the WPPI conference with Toby in Las Vegas to cover the event. We've got early thoughts on the new Sony a7III as well as a bevy of lenses, flashes, and more gear. As always this is your weekly highlights with photography news, Instagram top picks, photos from space, and more!While Toby does the Live Show for PEN this is your quick peek at what we’re doing behind the scenes. But, you can always join Photo Enthusiast Network and watch Toby live, find out more at Photorec.tv/pen. For everyone that are already PEN members, thank you for supporting the site!
This Week at Photorec.tv
- Want to travel with Toby? We've got some great new trips to sign up for:
- New for PEN, join today at Photorec.tv/PEN
- Tuesday Tips - Check your email! - Time for you and your photography, a life tip on getting photos when you can
- New Video! - Photoshop - Eye Enhancement and Highlights, getting a bit more pop in eyes without going overboard
- Option 2 PPA Level Review is live, go check your email or the site for the new Video!
- The Sony a7III – Sony’s 4k Update to Entry Level Full Frame
- An early hands-on from Toby in Vegas, the a7III doesn't cut any corners with A TON of specs in their more entry level full frame.
- SIGMA Announces 9 Art Lenses for Sony E-mount cameras
- For those wanting to switch to Sony, Sigma just made the move a ton easier with a large part of their Art line now available in Sony E Mount. For those with a lot of Sigma Art lenses already remember they do offer a conversion service as well.
- Sigma & Tamron Announce Sony FE Lenses
- Tamron is also in the Sony lens game this week with a 28-75mm f/2.8 lens. Much smaller and lighter than the Sony edition, this should be great for those traveling that need f/2.8.
- Finally: M50 Canon Camera Offers 4K Video & Several Other Sweet Features
- While Sony is currently sweeping the news this week Canon has a new mirrorless camera out for $899. It's a bit more of a competitive model than previous generations. The M50 comes with 4K, 120p HD, vari-angle touchscreen, automatic backup and even more sweet features.
- Vietnam Photography Adventures – Part Two!
- Toby took so much video in Vietnam! We've got part two this week hitting Halong Bay. Warning: Snakes!
- NEW SONY FLASH – F60RM with wireless
- A new flagship flash from Sony to fill out their accessories. THe F60RM is a flash with built-in wireless that can act as a master or slave in conjunction with their previous products.
Around the Web
We can't cover everything photography news related but we try. For everything else, we've got the best news articles from around the web.The Canon EOS 4000D might be the cheapest DSLR ever launchedCanon introduces EOS Rebel T7 with updated 24MP sensorCanon's beginner line just got updated with the T7 and there's a new budget-friendly 4000D coming to Europe only for now. The T7 gets an upgrade to the current 24MP sensor but that's about it as Canon is trying to push their higher end models. The 4000D will be an even more streamlined version of the T7 for around $385 body only.
6 Things to Know About Vero, the App Everyone and Their Mother Is Talking AboutAs you might have heard, everywhere, there's a new hot app for photographers on the market called Vero. It's currently having growing pains while upgrading servers to fill demand it's a bit tricky to log in at the moment. Vero is like Instagram in terms of posting, but there's no pesky algorithm in your way, making it a fan of those annoyed with Facebook and Instagram's filtering posts. Billed as a social media platform for users it has no ads, paying for the service with an in-app buy now feature and eventual subscription for later users. There has been a backlash towards the app though, as it's founder has a shady past. If this sounds interesting hurry up, as only the first million subscriptions are free. You can find me at roymckeeiii and Toby at photorectoby.
Hot Deal! Thanks to WPPI this week get the Canon Pixma Pro-100 Printer for just $99.99 with code BHWPPI18Other Stories You Might Like:
- The New Canon 470EX-AI Speedlite Can Automatically Turn Its Head For a Perfect Bounce Flash
- 500px Sold to Visual China Group, the “getty of China”
- Beware 500px’s (Very) ‘Flexible Pricing’
- This Is What Happens When You Give a Photographer a Spacesuit
- Sigma to Increase Price of Mount Conversion Service
- Court Injunction Insists Canon Italia Must Remove Elia Locardi's Image
- Wacom Announces the Cintiq Pro 24" Pen Display
- Buyer Orders a $6,000 Camera, Amazon Sends a Box of Rocks Instead
- How SpaceX Shoots Close-Up Footage of Launching Rockets
- Ex-Lexar execs have launched a new memory card company, here's why you should care
Featured Photos Weekly Challenge
This Week’s Challenge: #PRTV_DIY
A do it yourself week with those little DIYs, photography related or not. It's nice to challenge yourself from time to time and these little projects can net you some interesting shots.Next Week's Challenge: #PRTV_MoodNext week is a bit trickier as you have to capture emotion. While portraits could be key this week you can think out of the box for something such as a rainy day for feeling down and sad. Remember color can play big into this, we read into things a lot and color can be that extra little push that can make the scene.
Bubble solution for a neat DIY! I like the blue stripe for whatever was in the background. Check out Jane's post for some tips on doing this one.
Capturing smoke takes a lot of photos but you can get some neat shots. What does this one look like to you?
For more info, the schedule, and past top picks go check out photorec.tv/prtv. Try out some of Toby's Instagram Tips. For everything else Instagram, tag those shots #PRTV and #penlive for our daily photo features.
Photos from Space
A snapshot from Juno recently released by Nasa of Jupiter's giant red dot.
Also check out: Satellite Eye on Earth: January 2018 - in picturesPick up a "Major Tom" spaceman LED light for your computer today. Part of Toby's Photos from space segment and it helps support the site. Click here to buy your own Major Tom on Amazon.Want to keep up with things happening this year? Sync your calendar with the solar system